All through the Bush years, a common scene played out: Republicans would point out that a particular left winger was a blithering idiot, proposing lame brained polices that simply could not achieve their stated goal. The leftie, unable to defend the policies, would respond “Don’t question my patriotism!” The Republicans would respond that “we’re not questioning your patriotism, we’re questioning your judgment.” The leftie would ignore this and keep on whining about patriotism.
With the advent of the Obama Administration, we now see lefties constantly criticizing Republicans’ patriotism (“Republicans just want to destroy the country” is my favorite so far), especially on the issue of going after Obama’s nominees (Megan McArdle’s post spurred me to write this, but Thomas Friedman’s whine in the NYT was a fine example of the genre). Some thoughts on the matter:
- Barack Obama is a big-government, high-tax leftie, and that’s the kind of Administration he’s running.
- If you want me to pay lots of taxes, then you damn well better be paying all of your taxes. That’s called reciprocity.
- IF you think the government should be big, and therefore taxes on other people should be high, but you think it’s perfectly fine for you to cheat on your taxes and not pay your “fair share”, then we are now deeply into issues of character and judgment. Those are issues that must be considered when judging a nominee.
- Another issue that should be judged is your willingness to follow the rules, and the law. “The rules for thee, but not for me” is not the attitude I want to see in anybody in government.
- If the laws are so unworkable, change them. Tell us why those laws are such a bad idea, and get them repealed. I see no evidence of the Obama Administration being willing to do that. In fact, I see the opposite.
- “Oh”, you say, “I just couldn’t find a nanny for my kids who was willing to be paid ‘above the table’.” Bullshit. Let’s say your nanny was willing to accept $30,000 / year under the table. Then you could pay her $45,000 – $50,000 / year and that would give her $30,000 / year take home pay. She’s better off because she’s working legally, you’re better off because you’re now living according to the rules and principles you wish to force on everyone else.
- What’s that you say? You don’t want to have to pay an extra $15,000 – $20,000 / year in taxes to the government? Neither do I. You’re the one who wants to work for the guy who wants to raise my taxes. You going to tell him it’s not right to force people to pay more to the government? No? Then I guess you should have paid the government everything it was owed, rather than keeping the money for yourself by paying your nanny under the table.
- Clinton had the same problems in 1993. President Bush did not have the same problems in 2001. So I’d say the real problem here is that Democrats are crooks, hypocrites, and your basic all around scum. People who favor the rest of us paying high taxes, but only because they have scams that let them get out of paying those same taxes themselves.
In short, I feel no sympathy for Obama, his nominees, or Democrats in general. You want a big government, then you damn well better be willing to follow all of its rules. If you can’t, then stop trying to force them on the rest of us.